Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Americans Marginalized - Voting Rights, Access to Education, Welcoming Immigrants and Wealth Sharing

*Comment from Joe in Bangor follows blog - sent to me via email oneturkeyrun@comcast.net (thanks!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came%E2%80%A6

Please allow literary freedom I've taken with a familiar poem, "First They Came", attributed to the quotes of German theologian Martin Niemoller (1892-1984):


First they came for the immigrants,
But I said nothing because I'm not an immigrant.


Then they came for the Trade Unionists,
But I said nothing, because I'm not a Union member.


Then they came after our voting rights,
But I said nothing, because I have the credentials to access voting stations.


Then they went after politicians with their wealth and influence,
But I said nothing, because this didn't have anything to do with me.


But then, they found a reason to come after me.....
And there was no one left to speak out for me.


Meaning journalists Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews, Joe Scarborough, Mika Brzeninski and pundits on Morning Joe are absolutely essential to keeping our American freedoms in the media limelight.  They cut to the truth of political rhetoric and nuance.


This year is especially urgent for pundits to uphold American freedoms because right wing Republicans are assaulting the liberties we often take for granted - and we must speak out against their regressive reforms.


Right Wing Extremists are pushing back on immigration, while every single one of them are descended from immigrants - they won't open their hearts to others with the same ancestry.  


Extremists are assaulting voting rights for the poor and those who can't "prove" citizenship with a photo identification, even if they can't afford a driver's license as the only means of obtaining such documentation.  They take advantage of campaign finance reform by using their considerable wealth to influence politicians with ridiculously huge amounts of money. These bribes are now legal due to the Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling, permitting financial political degradation.  


Wealth advocates like the Koch brothers want to insure their right to greed by unduly influencing the election of officials who will protect their assets from taxes.


There's absolutely no end to the salient marginalization of American freedoms if these real right wing initiatives (already in progress) are allowed to continue. Eventually, allowed to systematically restrict one liberty after another, the extremists will also force Constructional amendments permitting their unbridled abilities to do whatever they want, similar to how the Citizens United Supreme Court ruling has allowed unbridled access to political monies.


Eventually, the litany of right wing extremist assaults will marginalize all of us.  


We must speak up for the Freedoms we loose. By doing nothing, a right wing majority will become a reality while the moderate rest of us will loose our freedom to speak.


*Comment: DEAR JULIE: 
AND SO WHY AREN'T YOU SPEAKING UP AND SUPPORTING THIS FEMALE PROFILE IN COURAGE...THE FEDERAL JUDGE WHO HAS BLOCKED THE ACTION BY PRES, OBAMA AND CONGRESS TO TAKE AWAY THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL. ?  WHAT IS THE REASON JULIE?  I BELIEVE IT WAS JOHN ADAMS SAID THE MOST IMPORTANT LIBERTY WAS THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL...BY DOING NOTHING ...WE LOSE THAT RIGHT?  STEP AWAY FROM THE ALTAR OF OBAMA AND SPEAK OUT AGAINST THIS TERRIBLE ACTION BY PRES. OBAMA AND BOTH PARTIES IN CONGRESS.
 
BEST
JOE
 
P.S. I  WILL VOTE FOR HIM BUT I WILL HOLD MY NOSE. BUT, YOU SHOULD NOT SKIM OVER LIBERTIES THAT ARE LOST AS A RESULT OF PRES. OBAMA.














Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home