Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Tuesday, October 01, 2024

Support for immigrant caregivers in Massachusetts

Her father’s immigrant caretakers enriched the entire.
Echo opinion letter published in the Boston Globe
In the final four years of my father’s life, two full-time caretakers from Ghana became part of our family. 

They were the kindest, most compassionate and skilled individuals I’ve ever met. My father, at 91, came home from dreadful hospital and rehab stays after losing the ability to walk, wanting to give up. But with the help of these caretakers, my sister and I were able to give him small goals and reasons to live — dining with friends, revisiting favorite restaurants that held precious memories, and even attending his granddaughter’s wedding.

My father’s father was an immigrant who worked tirelessly to create a better future for his family. His caretakers were doing the same, working hard to support their own families and improve lives. This is what immigrants have done for generations. 

We were fortunate to have these amazing individuals with us in our time of need, and our society is richer for their contributions.

From Jane Matlaw in Newtonville:
Newtonville is one of the thirteen villages within the city of Newton in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home