Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Monday, July 20, 2020

US-Mexican Border Crossings Put Migrants in Danger

Don't forget crisis continues at southern border

Measures to Lessen US-Mexican Border Crossings Put Migrants in Greater Danger
I am deeply troubled about what the Trump administration is doing to immigrant families who have come to America seeking asylum from violence. And even though the media isn't reporting on it much these days, the crisis at the southern border with Mexico has not gone away.

Tragically, the Trump administration is now forcing families to remain in Mexico and won't even process asylum claims. This is un-American. We used to welcome immigrants to this country as a sign of our nation's strength. Now Trump uses immigration to turn Americans against immigrants. The one lawmaker I see who has been working tirelessly to give a voice to immigrants harmed by Trump's policies is Sen. Jeff Merkley.

I remember when he went down to the border in 2018 to shine a light on the child prisons. It meant a lot to me that he did that and exposed the humanitarian crisis for what it is.

Lots of politicians just give us lip service and rarely show meaningful action or compassion. Senator Jeff Merkley is one of the few politicians who actually cares what happens to these migrant families. We need more like him.

From Cheryl Bristah, Northeast Portland Oregon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home