Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Robert Duvall is a harbinger of Republican sea turn

Longtime Conservative Actor Robert Duvall Is Abandoning The GOP ‘Mess’

Robert Duvall is a harbinger.....
Democrats must nurture and develop inclusiveness!

Hollywood is often portrayed, by conservatives, as a liberal paradise. 
Although many actors and actresses have liberal views, there are a few who are at home in the GOP. 

Unfortunately for the Republican Party, Robert Duvall is no longer one of them.

Actor Robert Duvall exits the Republican Party, stage left

During an interview with The Daily Beast’s, Marlow Stern last week, Stern asked Duvall if it was tough to be a Republican in Hollywood. 

In response, the legendary actor called the GOP “a mess,” declared his support of a woman’s right to choose, and said he’ll “probably vote independent.” In short, the longtime conservative seems to have ditched the Republican Party.

STERN: “Republicans in Hollywood seem to get a lot of flack and be a bit marginalized. Has it ever been tough, for you, to be a Republican in Hollywood?”

DUVALL: “Let me say it this way: my wife’s from Argentina, she’s been here for a while, and she’s very smart. She calls herself a “tree-hugging Republican,” but she might even vote Democrat next time because the Republican Party is a mess. 

I’ll probably vote Independent next time. I think it was Jack Kerouac who said something like, “Don’t run down my country. My people are immigrants, so I believe in this country with all its faults. To me, it’s a big country that’s made mistakes… Some of these very conservative Republicans… I don’t know, man. I believe in a woman’s choice. I believe in certain things.”

This is a major loss for the GOP at a time when they need all the big names they can get. The 83-year-old actor had been a huge presence at GOP events in recent years. 

In 2008, Duvall reportedly narrated videos shown during the Republican National Convention and personally appeared on stage during a rally for John McCain and Sarah Palin. And in 2012, Duvall endorsed Mitt Romney. Losing the support of such an iconic and popular actor is a real blow as the 2014 midterm election approaches. Robert Duvall is yet another example of a Republican who can no longer stand to call themselves one. 


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home