Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Monday, January 22, 2024

"Insurrectinist in chief" Donald Trump is delusional about January 6 attack on the US Capitol

Echo opinion published in the Raleigh, North Carolina, The News & Observer newspaper.

We must not allow anyone to rewrite the history of what we all saw happen on January 6 | Opinion
Donald Trump the insurrectionist in chief

My grandfather lied about his age to join the U.S. Army at 16, and fight in World War II, to defend the ideals of freedom and democracy worldwide. Had he still been alive, he would have been devastated by the events of January 6, 2021, and disgusted by recent efforts to minimize the severity of the crimes committed that day. 

I am a patriot and 10-year Coast Guard veteran. I’ve defended my country against enemies, both foreign and domestic. I assisted with enforcing UN sanctions against Iraq in the Persian Gulf, served as a Sea Marshall after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and protected our shores from the entry of illicit drugs and illegal immigrants. Of all my service, some of my proudest moments were as a Coast Guard Liaison to the U.S. House of Representatives. My heart would swell with emotion every time I made my way across the National Mall, toward the Capitol, and through the doors of the Rayburn House Office Building. I held with reverence the opportunity to walk the hallowed halls where the work of our nation has safely taken place for more than 200 years. 

On January 6, 2021, my heart broke as I watched in disbelief and horror a mob of Americans storm our United States Capitol, use force against sworn officers, terrorize elected officials and cause millions of dollars of damage to those same hallowed halls I revere. As a nation, it was hard for us to process these images, including gallows erected within view of the Capitol, coming from within our country. Yet, as dark a day as January 6 was, light emerged quickly when Americans, regardless of political affiliation, condemned those actions and affirmed that a bright line had been crossed. With the third anniversary of January 6, recently passed, some Americans would like us to forget just how egregious the actions of those individuals who stormed the Capitol were. They would like us to believe the rioters were simply exercising their constitutional rights. 

Let’s be clear: Our constitutional rights do not permit us to assault law enforcement officers, unlawfully enter federal buildings, hunt down elected officials with intent to harm them, or vandalize federal property. They do not allow us to attempt to undermine the results of an election we do not like.

If we stand by and allow others to rewrite the events of that day to suit their political interests, we are in danger of permitting future acts of violence against our most valued principles. We must hold firm to the collective outrage we felt in the days and weeks after and use those feelings to fuel our commitment to restoring people’s faith in our government institutions and processes. We must strengthen our muscle to peacefully debate ideas, to participate in civic and political action, and to diligently prevent falsehoods to sit uncontested. Remaining silent would be more comfortable. 

But, if my grandfather was willing to risk death for democracy, discomfort is the least he, and all those who serve, should expect of us. 
Opinion submitted by Theresa Reno-Weber is the chief operating officer and president for North America at Kentucky startup GoodMaps. She served as the president and CEO of Metro United Way in Louisville from 2017 to 2021, was a deputy mayor in Louisville Metro Government from 2012 to 2017, and is a 10-year veteran of the United States Coast Guard.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home