Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Saturday, December 30, 2023

Moral clarity about antisemitism-: A wake up call!

Echo antisemitism opinion letters published in The New York Times:
Cartoon by Sir Bernard Partridge, 1933, noting the irony between Nazi German Chancellor Adolf Hitler's commandments of brotherhood and his actual persecution of the Jews.

Senator Chuck Schumer’s resolve to take a strong public stand against antisemitism is laudable, particularly when the scourge of hatred toward Jews is reaching a fever pitch. 

The Senate majority leader’s well spoken and poignant plea, both on the floor of the Senate and in the Times Opinion section, was notable for its moral clarity and forceful denunciation of the wanton antisemitism pervading every segment of our society. 

Furthermore, the urgency with which he conveyed how dangerous this conflagration of hate has become and how critical it is for all Americans — not just Jews — to condemn antisemitism is a clarion call that will hopefully resonate on all points of the political spectrum, on university campuses and throughout our nation.

Remaining silent in the face of blatant bigotry is indefensible, and Senator Schumer’s compelling words should serve as a wake-up call to everyone who has thus far failed to confront this growing crisis.

N. Aaron Troodler in  Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania
Freiburg, gravestone 1959. A Jewish gravestone in Freiburg, Germany, desecrated with Nazi imagery. Photograph, 1959.

To the Editor:  Like Senator Chuck Schumer, I am deeply concerned about the rise in antisemitism. I have questioned whether it is safe to continue wearing my Star of David, and ultimately decided to do so in solidarity with Jews, such as Hasidim, who cannot hide their identities, and to signal to other Jews that I am “safe.” (A stranger at a restaurant recently thanked me for wearing it, which confirmed my decision.)

But my deepest fear is not that I would be physically attacked for being a Jew.✡️

Since the October 7th attack by Hamas on Israel, I witnessed the groups I have supported and people I respected celebrating the murder, kidnapping, rape and torture of Jews. They have attended pro-Palestinian protests, chanting genocidal slogans and aligning themselves with Jew haters.

As someone working in higher education, I have been horrified by the realization that political violence (“by any means necessary”) and supporting terrorism seem to be acceptable to a large number of American students and faculty members. Some of these individuals are fellow Jews, which is a crushing betrayal.

My deepest fear is that the alienation from others that I have felt since October 8, when the celebrations of terrorism began, will never go away. As I walk around my neighborhood, city and campus, I wonder which of my neighbors, colleagues or political representatives are OK with the slaughter of my people in the name of “social justice.”

I find myself skipping articles about injustices toward other groups that used to deeply concern me. I find myself wanting to disappear into an emotionally safe but ultimately self-destructive psychological ghetto, where the only people I truly trust are other Jews.

I do not think I am alone in this.

From Deborah L. Drucker in Queens NY


To the Editor:  Senator Chuck Schumer’s article hit a nerve with me. Growing up in Connecticut, I never felt the sting of antisemitism. Working for Congress or practicing law in Washington for 50 years, I never felt the sting of antisemitism.

Now, for the first time I feel threatened. I have been forced to recognize that there are Americans who would like me dead. It’s scary for all American Jews.

Our political leaders, and all leaders, including university presidents, must speak with one voice on the subject of hatred against Jews or any Americans, including African Americans and Arab Americans. We cannot accept what is going on in the country.

Marshall Matz in McLean, Virginia

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home