Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Thursday, June 10, 2021

Keep vaccinating! Wear masks! Stay COVID protected for yourself and others

Masks prevent transmission of viruses.  Full Stop! They protect the wearer and the public from the COVID and influenza viruses.  

A double benefit! People who defy these basic public health facts are, frankly, stupid!
Opinion letter echo published in The Oklahoman newspaper

Sixty years ago, during my brief military service, I visited a number of Japanese cities. It was probably during the flu season, since I viewed a large portion of pedestrian traffic wearing white face masks. With a high regard for Asian intelligence, I learned early in my life that protecting human health in this manner was no great sacrifice.

The scientific community has assured us that the COVID virus does not survive very long floating in the air. And that the critters do not wander down the street to climb up our ankles. If one contracts the disease, it is almost certainly through the inhalation of particles airborne from an infected person. These considerations have led me to reach these conclusions:

Ninety percent of our disease coverage reports American statistics, but we should be always aware that we are engaged in a world wide struggle against the virus. We are all in this together, and every one of us must participate.

Vaccination provides marvelous protection for the receiver, but virus cells inhaled by these people can easily be almost instantaneously exhaled to infect others.

Not quite so obvious is my personal conviction that if every adult routinely wore a face mask when not at home the virus would be extinct in one or two months. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) no other species can communicate the infection. I have been fully vaccinated, but whenever I am in the presence of any other, I will be wearing a mask. It's the least I can do to promote the practice.

— Bert Rackett, Oklahoma City

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home