Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Pandemic mask information and failed management


Two informed readers from Kansas wrote these commentaries

To the editor of the Leavenworth Times a Kansas newspaper:

I listen, read and watch reports in reference to the virus. Persons argue that it is their right to come and go as they please. They are in their own world.

A lot of these people declare it is their personal right. Have they fought, got wounded or have a loved one die for them? If they have, then go ahead make your day yet remember you could be a Typhoid Mary to someone or a group of people.

This attitude reminds me of a state governor some time ago who condemned gay people over and over again. Later in that year one of his children declared that they were gay. It was not a day later that he changed his attitude to gay people and vocalized support for them.

I believe some of these righteous people will change their attitude when someone they love comes down with the virus due to someone’s selfish attitude. Words like “sorry” will not mean anything because they chose themselves over the people in their family, neighborhood and country.

The government has lacked the leadership to get this problem under control. The quick answer to recovering both medically and economically is testing.

We can develop a reliable, free test. Then we can open businesses and get the economy to slowly return to the new normal. We waited too long and had a shotgun approach to the problem. A leader who is worth their salt would rely on medical doctors for the procedures to get us back to the new normal.

We can develop a vaccine but not overnight. It is a long procedure to ensure its safety. The Salk vaccine took years. Beginning in 1948, it took until 1957 to get it safely out in the public. Then later, researcher Albert Sabin developed an oral vaccine. We could cut that time in half because of the knowledge base and equipment we have.

Are there any quick answers? No, but if you follow the procedures set forth by the CDC – social distancing, washing your hands – until a reliable vaccine is developed, we can suffer together and conquer this dreaded disease. From 
Roger Harrison in Leavenworth, Kansas.

Why I wear a mask - opinion letter published in The Wichita Eagle, a Kansas newspaper

WEAR A MASK- Let me be clear: I do not like wearing a mask when I go into buildings and public spaces, but I do.

Some see wearing a mask as a sign of weakness — fear that I’ll get the virus. That can be a valid reason to wear it. Or perhaps I’ll be shamed by other mask-wearers.

There’s another reason. If I were carrying the virus — which I don’t believe I am — it would be cruel of me to risk spreading the virus to you.   
So on the off-off-chance that I may carry the virus, I will wear the mask. Wearing it is my gift to you. From Ron Nibbelink, Augusta, Kansas

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home