Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Sunday, February 24, 2019

Poet Prophesy - Robert Frost echo opinion from Connecticut


Opinion letter about the evil Trumpzi border wall publsihed in The Hartford Courant

Poet Robert Frost (1874-1963)
The poet Robert Frost writes in “Mending Wall”: “Something there is that doesn’t love a wall.” Later in the poem, he warns, “Before I built a wall I’d ask to know / What I was walling in or walling out, / And to whom I was like to give offense.”

Published in 1914, way before the notorious Berlin Wall or Maginot Line were even dreamed about, this poem reminds us to consider carefully what or whom we are excluding. 

In the case of our southern border, we would keep out and keep in migrating species, as well as human migrants desperately seeking asylum from oppression and possible death.

Many label such human migrants as “illegals” whereas they are neither legal nor illegal until they do or do not fill certain requirements. Such walls as the ones the president proposes are so un-American in spirit I can only think of them as diabolical.

I believe Donald Trump is trying to distract the gullible public with the implied threat of criminals at our borders to awaken the latent xenophobia that lies deep in the American psyche. He would like us to forget about the ongoing Mueller investigation that is looking into his and others’ involvement with Russia in derailing the 2016 elections.

Ruth G. Crutchley, Granby

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home