Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Sunday, September 09, 2018

Opinion letter: The "Gunshine State"- from "worried" in Nebraska

All gun violence is preventable!


In regards to the latest gun violence in Florida (“Shooting leaves three dead in Jacksonville,” Aug. 27), although from Canada originally, I have moved to Lincoln and just recently and proudly received my U.S. citizenship.

Canada has very different gun laws from the U.S., and no powerful gun lobbies providing funds to Canadian politicians and lawmakers.

According to recent data released by Statistics Canada, the number of gun violence deaths per 100,000 persons (per year) in that country is less than 1; whereas, in the United States (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), the number is approximately 12.6 deaths per 100,000 persons.

Of course, Canada is not immune to gun violence, and several recent tragedies underline this fact. But, in my opinion, some of the worst U.S. incidents in the last year may be linked to the vast difference in gun sales between the two countries, and in the case of Florida, the state. My daughter currently lives in the "Gunshine State," and I worry about her safety every day.

I hope that readers will get out and show the power of this wonderful democracy by supporting those November candidates that will take a stand against gun laws that are designed primarily to protect profits and politicians, not citizens.

Louise Bauck, Lincoln

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home