Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Paying the failed Trump administration legal fees

Wasting money in the Donald Trump administration ~ Mar-a-lago expenses and all those legal bills.

A letter to the editor ~ echo ~ published in the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal in Texas by Larry Goldston

Who’s covering the legal costs?

Recently, while a large group of us were huddled around the coffee pot, the subject came up, of “who is paying all the legal fees and lawyer costs” of ALL of the folks primarily in Washington DC, that have departed their jobs, either of their own volition or fired, and now being investigated from every direction. 

Legal fees paid to all the lawyers involved in the Failed Trump Administration's scandals are ultimately paid by...."guess who?"

It seems they ALL are lawyered up. At $300 to $400 an hour or much more, times the number involved, that cost is not going to be cheap.

I was asked by a few, since I send out a few hundred newsletters to some various groups, to find out who is writing the checks to cover these expenses, and to let them know. We discussed the source, and I decided that our local congressman would be the place to start. I called his office on the morning of Feb. 8, and spoke to a couple of his office staff, they had no clue, but said they would be back with me in 2-3 days. Well, here it is the 14th, and still no answer, after I called back on the 13th and left another message.

I thought, this will be an easy question, probably take 30 nano seconds for a reply. Wow, was I wrong, Now, I know that our congressman is a newby, and probably his staff too. But in reality, my next call was to a different elected official, someone with more horsepower, and got an answer on the first call. It seems to me that if our congressman, would spend more time in training his staff, returning calls by the staff, providing answers to constituents, and less time in front of cameras he would have a more positive opinion floating around his district.

While thinking about the evolution of this question, I’m now wondering, if we even really NEED congressmen and senators. Everyone has a computer, or they can go to the public library and use theirs, to vote “from the people” about every question involving running this country. At least, we would not be subject to the pontification, for hours on end, “the sound and fury, signifying nothing” for the most part, of those living on our dime in DC. Also just think how traffic would be reduced.

Can you imagine the cost saving of this change, not only in “over salaried, high medical expenses, and retirement, ” of elected congressmen and senators, but additional saving paid out through the lobby network, maybe we could get back into the black, our budget, eventually.

I know who is paying for most of these legal fees, DO YOU? 

I suspect, you will not be happy with the answer.

Larry Goldston, Lubbock

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home