Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

More opinion echoes to support #MarchForOurLives ~ Texas

Change dialogue~ MySanAntonio.com
Another "echo" published in a letter to the editor in the San Antonio Express-News: opinions blogged by me, selected from random searches in US newspapers.
Marjory Stonemann Douglas High School 

If I could shake the hand of every student who spearheaded the #marchforourlives movement after the senseless attack killing 17 promising students, I would do so in a heartbeat.

I am proud to see our future generation filled with forthright, sensible young leaders able to organize, unite and lead efforts to create a better society. The mass shootings at schools have left the country in a stonewalling debate where some have gripped their guns more tightly, while others condemn their very existence.

I feel that the gun control issue is blurred by misconceptions of what gun control entails. Most feel gun control means total erasure of the Second Amendment, which could not be further from the truth.

Raising the age requirement to ensure that buyers are mature enough to purchase a gun would be a big step toward sensible gun control.

Having more corporations follow outlets such as Dick’s Sporting Goods, which banned sales of assault-style rifles, would make it harder for individuals to obtain these types of weapons.

Reinforcing background checks and revamping the process, along with gun education, could mean the difference between life and death.

Educating our community that guns are not the enemy but rather a tool our forefathers understood will help change the dialogue and perspective of our country.

Letter to the editor from Patricia Macias

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home