Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

March for our Lives ~ echo from Savannah Georgia

My echo of the day is posting another opinion letter to the editor, published in support for the children who were victims and the casualties of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School mass shooting on February 14, 2018, in Parkland, Florida.  

This letter was published in the Savannah Morning News, Georgia.

Touched by March For Our Lives event


The march in Washington grabbed my heart. 

My emotions ran raw as I witnessed these vibrant young people demanding gun control. They obviously realize how important it is to vote, when they reach 18.

I was one of the first in the country to vote at that age. Georgia passed a law that allowed, if young men could fight in World War II, then surely they were old enough to vote. I turned 18 in August of that year and proudly voted for Franklin Roosevelt as soon as the polls opened.

The youth that took the stage last Saturday afternoon are an amazing and brilliant young people who have convinced me that change will come. And voting will be the instrument -- not guns. I was moved to tears over and over at their raw emotion and self-confidence. Their commitment is engrossing.

I join with them, both with my sentiment, courage and financial aid. And I urge everyone who wants change to call your local elected officials, your county elected officials, your national elected officials and let them all know that they will be voted out if they don’t change gun laws.

Miriam Center, Savannah

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home