Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

The Tennessean newspaper echo- "Trump owes Boy Scouts an apology"

The Tennessean

Trump flubs Scouts address: Letters to the editor, July 29

Representative Diane Black alert!

Boy Scout Oath:

"On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight
."

President owes Boy Scouts an apology

President Trump owes an apology to the Boy Scouts of America.
Donald Trump committed the cardinal sin of offending his hosts at the national jamboree, on Monday.

Every U.S. president is the honorary president of the Boy Scouts, which is an apolitical organization that always invites whoever is president to its quadrennial jamborees.

I am volunteering at the jamboree, and I was hopeful that President Trump would rise to the occasion and offer the Scouts a message about living by the Scout oath and Scout law, serving their communities and working for the common good.

President Trump squandered the opportunity (indeed, obligation) by addressing the approximately 40,000 Scouts, leaders and volunteers as if we had come to a campaign rally.

He bragged about his election, criticized the media, mocked his predecessor, basically threatened a Cabinet member to accomplish a task or get fired, and rambled about other off-topic subjects.

It was an embarrassing display of self-centeredness, and the few uplifting and encouraging comments were just that — few.

As he spoke, I recited the points of the Scout law (trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent) to myself and could apply none of them to President Trump.

(MaineWriter: What I'd like is for the media to ask is how Rex Tillerson, former leader of the Boy Scouts, felt about the Donald Trump failed jamboree speech?)

Disappointment doesn’t come close to expressing how I feel. President Trump trampled an American institution and should be ashamed. I hope his behavior does not diminish anyone’s interest in Scouting.

Tom Adkinson is a freelance writer and retired public relations practitioner in Nashville.

Trump flubs Scouts address

I was shocked to hear some Boy Scouts at their national jamboree in West Virginia cheer while our POTUS slammed his former opponent for the presidency, our former first lady and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. I thought, “How unlike Boy Scout behavior.”

I also felt it would be one more bad behavior event of his and disregarded, if noted at all. The next day I was pleased to see that former and current Scouts, parents and the Boy Scouts organization itself spoke out. The Boy Scouts of America stated it is wholly nonpartisan and does not promote any political position, candidate or philosophy. Yet at this event young men played along with his rant on Clinton, and as usual, he also insulted Barack Obama. Within this fallout have been requests that the Boy Scouts formerly instruct troop leaders to denounce this behavior and explain why it is wrong to these young men.

Ita Hardesty-Mason, Kingston Springs, Tennessee

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home