Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Saturday, June 26, 2021

American Catholic Bishops are not God

Obviously, I'm certainly not a theologian, or a religious historian or even a person with a philosophy degree. Nevertheless, I am qualified to unequivocally say this: "United States Conference of Catholic Bishops are not God".  Full stop.

Bishop's Mitre
Two echoes:  

America Magazine- echo by Ashley McKinless and Zac Davis:

"...timing. I mean, we’re just coming out of this pandemic where people have been deprived of the Eucharist for over a year. And then, just as we’re starting to go back to Mass in person, what we hear from the national bishops’ conference is, if you’re just reading the headlines, it sounds like they’re debating when we should be denying the Eucharist to people instead of welcoming people back and saying, 'We’re so glad you’re coming back. We can’t imagine what it would be like to be without the Eucharist for a year'. Because, the bishops have not been without the Eucharist for a year."

To the editor- echo to the Los Angeles Times: I have been a Roman Catholic for the past 80 years. I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly in the Catholic Church. The fact that the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has the temerity even to discuss denying Communion to President Biden for following the law of the land on abortion rights is disgraceful to me.

This is a church that ran homes in Ireland where babies died at shockingly high rates or were stolen from their young unwed mothers, and whose priests committed willful acts of depravity against young boys. Yet U.S. bishops have the audacity to question the devotion of our president?

It is time to take the church’s tax exemption away. It has now become a very political organization.

Aine Smallwood, Encinitas, California

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home