Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Thursday, December 10, 2020

Protecting health care workers during the coronavirus pandemic and beyond

 A letter received from Senator Angus King of Maine:

Senator Angus King of Maine
Dear Juliana,

One of our top priorities in the battle against coronavirus should be protecting all healthcare providers, including physicians, nurse practitioners, physician’s assistants, pharmacists, medical students, nurses and home-care workers while they care for us during this pandemic. This virus has put us into a new healthcare frontier and the way I see it, we should be utilizing healthcare expertise from all relevant fields to combat it. I was pleased that the most recent economic stimulus package contains provisions to help medical students and small business healthcare providers receive financial support during this time, including small business loans, student loan payments and interest deferrals, and retirement account withdrawals.

To help keep our providers safe, I joined a number of my Senate colleagues in a letter urging President Trump to invoke his authority under the Defense Production Act powers to help address widespread shortages of medical equipment, including personal protective equipment, diagnostic test kits, and lifesaving ventilators. He did so within a day of his receipt of the letter. I also worked with the rest of the Maine delegation to urge the rapid disbursement of protective equipment from the Strategic National Stockpile that was funded in the recent stimulus package. Additionally, I have been focusing on finding ways to increase access to healthcare even as we socially distance ourselves, and I worked with my colleagues to ask the Federal Communications Commission and the Senate Appropriations Committee to prioritize funding for telehealth initiatives. I also cosponsored the Dr. Lorna Breen Health Care Provider Protection Act, S. 4349, which provides much needed support to address the mental health and well-being of health care professionals.

I am extremely disappointed, however, at the slow and somewhat confusing actions of the Administration in taking the steps necessary to successfully fight the pandemic. Although, as noted, the President invoked the Defense Production Act, he has been reluctant to use it effectively to provide the necessary resources to fill gaps in PPE, test kits, and other scarce supplies. In addition, the President’s inconsistent statements in his daily press briefings with regard to opening the economy have led to confusion among our citizens as to the seriousness of the virus and the importance of maintaining precautions such as social distancing. I fear the statements exacerbate the spread and prolong the period we are now in.

We have a responsibility to do right by those who are undertaking great personal risks to fulfill their professional duties and protect their communities, and I’m glad to see meaningful plans coming together to take better care of each of them. I appreciate your input and support on this matter, and I will continue to look for opportunities in future legislation to further ensure we are properly protecting all healthcare providers and utilizing all medical experts during this pandemic. 

Best Regards,


ANGUS S. KING, JR.
United States Senator

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home