Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Monday, December 31, 2018

An Army officer's oath- must uphold the Constitution: Oklahoma opinion

Our US Constitution is not a political document. The United States Constitution is the supreme law of the United States. 

For the purpose of Donald Trump and the other illiterates who can't read, but who only follow his tyrannical Tweets, the Constitution was written for "we the people". No formal political parties existed in 1789, when the Constitution was signed. In the preamble it says:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Therefore, the writer of this opinion letter published in the Tulsa World newspaper, is of particular importance because the author draws attention to the purpose of defending "we the people".

Defending the Constitution
To the Editor:  I recently attended a college graduation and witnessed the commissioning of a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army as part of the graduation ceremony.

All U.S. military officers are college graduates. This young man recited the United States Uniformed Services Oath of Office:

“I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”*
The new college graduate did not swear allegiance or loyalty to a particular person. He swore to defend to our Constitution, from both foreign and domestic enemies.

This young man swore to defend us and the country “we the people” created.

He obligated himself to be led and also to lead. He obligated himself to oppose unethical and immoral and illegal orders and actions.

I depend on his and his colleagues’ preparedness and actions in pursuit of their sworn obligation.

I thank everyone, especially those younger and those much younger than me, who steps up for the common good by defending, embracing and understanding the Constitution of the United States and each of us.

Steve Heifner, Tulsa Oklahoma

Postscript:  *Others of note, who took this same oath as military academy graduates, are:

President Ulysses S. Grant
President Dwight D. Eisehnower
President Jimmy Carter
Senator John McCain

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home