Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

The Times Record- Brunswick Maine: Trump failed at Aisne Marne

https://www.timesrecord.com/articles/opinion/letter-dismayed-at-trumps-no-show-at-aisne-marne/
Gold Star mother Emma Morin. Her son was a World War I casualty.  MaineWriter - my letter to the editor:
In 1959, when Mrs. Emma Martin Morin of Pike Street in Biddeford turned 95 years old, her birthday was a front page feature story printed above the fold in the local newspaper. Her birthday celebration was featured because Mrs. Morin was a Gold Star mother. Her son Napoleon was only 19 years old when he was killed at the Battle of Chateau -Thierry, during World War I, in France. Napoleon is interred at Aisne-Marne American Cemetery in France. Memere Morin’s sacrifice stays with the family, even 60 years after her death at 95 years old, when she died at home on March 20, 1960, in Biddeford. She was the oldest World War I Gold Star mother from Biddeford’s Tighe-Beaudoin-Farley American Legion Post 26, Auxiliary. My husband and I visited the beautiful but somber cemetery in France, several years ago.

We traveled to the location from Paris, by train. We could have hired a taxi to drive us. We saw Napoleon’s grave marker inside the cemetery chapel. His name was carved above the alter.

Obviously, we are dismayed about how President Donald Trump was unable to travel to Aisne-Marne to commemorate the dedication of the Centennial of the end of World War I, with other European leaders, because of rain. There are at least 2,000 other graves of young Americans who are also interred at Aisne-Marne. Thankfully, Defense Secretary James Mattis was thoughtful enough to attend the ceremonies.

Juliana L’Heureux,  Topsham

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home