Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Monday, October 08, 2018

Trumpzism ignores the U.S. Constitution - echo from Colin Powell interview

Newsmax and CNN
Colin Powell: Trump's Priority Is 'Me the President' Not 'We the People'

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell on Sunday questioned President Donald Trump’s ability to be a moral leader in the world, lashing out at his anti-press rhetoric, retreat from the world stage, and insults of U.S. allies.

In an interview, CNN’s Fareed Zakaria sparked a blunt response when he asked Powell — a Republican who’s kept a low profile during the Trump administration — about Trump’s moral leadership by example.

Colin Luther Powell is an American statesman and a retired four-star general in the United States Army
United States Secretary of State (2001–2005), National Security Advisor of the United States (1987–1989)
“I don’t know that he can do that, because right now that’s not the way he’s acting,” said Powell.

Moreover, Powell said that his favorite three words in the Constitution are “we the people.

“But recently, it has become ‘me the president’ as opposed to ‘we the people,'” he said.

“And you see things that should not be happening,” he went on. “How can a president of the United States get up and say that the media is the enemy of Americans? Hasn’t he read the First Amendment? You are not supposed to like everything the press says, or what anyone says… that’s why we have a First Amendment, to protect that kind of speech.”

“I hope the president can come to the realization that he should really stop insulting people,” Powell added.

“I used this two years ago when I said I could not vote for him in the 2016 election. Why? He insulted everybody. 

“He insulted African-Americans. He insulted women. He insulted immigrants. He insulted our best friends around the world. All of his fellow candidates upon the stage during the debates. I don’t think that’s what should be coming out of a president of the United States. But I don’t see anything that’s changed in the last two years.”

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home