Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Echo from United States Air Force Chief Master Sargent - Senator John McCain

Celebrating Senator John McCain's long and extraordinary life

An opinion writer says he served over 30 years on active duty in the United Sates Air Force. "I look back on the time I spent with the Senator as one of the highlights of my career."


Three months after the terrorist attacks of 9/11, I deployed as a member of a leadership team to support combat operations in Afghanistan. We had several VIPs visit our classified location to get an idea of how things were going — almost all were exceedingly forgettable. That is until the day a C-130 descended out of the sky with a small group of United States senators on-board. When the door opened, out stepped Sen. John McCain.

I spent the next several hours, one-on-one, with him and in small groups discussing our mission. Even though he was visibly exhausted from the long trip, I remember fondly how he treated me like the only person in the world and he wanted to hear what I had to say.

As we toured the facilities, we entered a small hospital set-up in an aircraft hangar. There was one patient — a wounded soldier that we had evacuated from Afghanistan. Senator McCain wanted to meet him. The compassion on his face during the visit melted my heart. He knew from agonizing experience exactly what that young soldier was enduring.


During a short break when we were alone, I asked about his health. I knew he had recently undergone facial surgery for skin cancer. The scars were clearly visible. He replied in his famously stoic way and with a twinkle in his eye that he was just fine. I’ll never forget how he was genuinely touched that I would care enough to ask about him.

The time for the senator’s departure came much too soon. After the group departed, I realized what a choice experience I had just had. 

I knew of McCain’s conduct in the Vietnam War. Observing him during that visit drove home to me the fact that I was in the presence of a genuine American hero.

I am sad that Senator McCain has passed (died on August 25, 2018, in Arizona), but happy in knowing that he had a long and extraordinary life. 

I served over 30 years on active duty in the United Sates Air Force. I look back on the time I spent with the senator as one of the highlights of my career.

Rest in Peace, Senator John McCain.

Russell L. Wilson  Chief Master Sergeant

United States Air Force (Retired)

Martinsville, Indiana

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home