Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Gun violence - when is regulation too "early"?

Kansas City Star:
"My husband was murdered in 1987. The police didn't hold off questioning me because it was too early"~ Sue Thompson. Mission, Missouri

Preventing gun violence

Gun violece: too early?

Republican members of Congress interviewed on television say it is “too early” to talk about gun control after the horrific ambush in Las Vegas.

It was “too early” after Rep. Gabby Giffords was shot. It was “too early” after Columbine. It was “too early” after Sandy Hook. It was “too early” after the Orlando Pulse nightclub shooting.

When exactly is a good time to discuss common-sense gun-control practices, like outlawing the bump stock or preventing those with mental illness from buying weapons?


If a bridge collapses, we don’t say it is “too early” to investigate to prevent other collapses. When an airplane goes down, National Transportation Safety Board employees immediately investigate in hopes of preventing other airline disasters.

My husband was murdered in 1987. The police didn’t hold off questioning me because it was “too early.” 

Moreover, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation didn’t hold off investigating how a gun that was legally limited to use by law enforcement was used to shoot him six times.

Let’s do this before more people are killed.

Sue Thompson, Mission 
Published in kansascity.com/opinion/letterstotheeditor/article177543291.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home