Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Monday, April 17, 2017

World War One letters to the editor in Kansas City Star

Curious as to why (?) there was no mention of President Eisenhower in the Kansas City Star report about the tribute to World War One. Giving the coverage the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the omission in this article was just an oversight?  https://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/

The World War I Museum and Memorial in Kansas City hosted the national WWI centennial observance on morning of April 6, 2017, in Kansas City. Foreign dignitaries from 27 countries joined elected officials and regular Americans from 26 states under an azure sky with no rain to hear words and songs from another era.

Reported in the Kansas City Star
A century after the United States took the leap and joined the European Allies in the slaughterhouse that was World War I, the nation and the world gathered in Kansas City to contemplate the ordeal and the changes it wrought.

“We still live in the long shadow of World War I in every part of our lives,” said retired Col. Robert J. Dalessandro, chairman of the United States World War One Centennial Commission.
By Matt Campbell, Katy Bergen and Scott Canon


Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article143057334.html#storylink=cpy
https://www.theworldwar.org/
Image result for Kansas City Star logo
Great WWI tribute- letters

For almost 100 years, the community of Kansas City has played a leading role in honoring the brave men and women who sacrificed so much on behalf of freedom and liberty. As the artistic director of the recent National World War I centennial event, I wanted to acknowledge that commitment by featuring some of the many wonderful actors, designers and musicians from the local artistic community.

I would like offer my most sincere thanks to speakers John Rensenhouse, Carla Noack, Dale Morehouse and Victor Raider-Wexler; musicians Matt Rombaum, Samantha Gossard, Alla Wijnands and Bram Wijnands; the Kansas City Symphony; the Lyric Opera of Kansas City; and the students from the UMKC Theatre program.

Their extraordinary talent and generosity of spirit made the centennial event such a moving and memorable experience.

Edward Bilous, Artistic Director
World War I Centennial, New York


For the last few years, the National World War I Museum and Memorial has done yeoman’s service in reminding us of the importance of the Great War, both in its exhibits and its programming.

It again showed its worth last Thursday, as it hosted the national observance of the 100th anniversary of the American entry into the war in conjunction with the National WWI Centennial Commission. The blend of words and music from 1917 was an excellent tribute to those who served.

I like to think that my great-uncles — one Army, one Navy in the war — would have been pleased with the tribute.

The centennial continues, and one can expect the museum to carry on with the mission of explaining how the first world war changed the world and continues to affect us today.

Blair D. Tarr , Kansas World War I
Centennial Committee
Topeka KS

No mention of President Eisenhower in an otherwise impressive tribute to World War One- seems to be a significant oversight and a misunderstanding of American presidential history. (Just my opinion.)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home