Maine Writer

Its about people and issues I care about.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Topsham, MAINE, United States

My blogs are dedicated to the issues I care about. Thank you to all who take the time to read something I've written.

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Cardinal Timothy Dolan prayer by Juliana L'Heureux

Begin with an excerpt from Paul's letters to the Corinthians, so Donald Trump can hear how the word is correctly pronouned- in other words, like "Co·rin·thi·an".

History will record Cardinal Timothy Dolan as the first American Roman Catholic ecclesiastic leader, since Cardinal Cushing spoke at the 1961 inauguration of John F. Kennedy, to be invited to provide an invocation at the January 20th ceremonies, planned for Donald Trump and the administration's transition.  
Timothy Dolan apr 2015.jpg
Timothy Cardinal Dolan of New York

In 1961, at the Kennedy inaugural, Cardinal Cushing gave a 12 minute invocation.  

Frankly, I don't understand why Cardinal Dolan would accept this invitation because, doing so, indicates a tacit endorsement of Donald Trump, who has bullied his way throughout the presidential election.  Nevertheless, Cardinal Dolan will join colleagues from the inauguration of Dwight D. Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy, thereby creating a trio of Roman Catholic leaders, to have this podium. Therefore, my direction to Cardinal Dolan is to use this opportunity on January 20th to create an "educable moment". 

In other words, give advice in the context of prayer.

Here's my version for Cardinal Dolan to consider in a 12 minute invocation, whereby he can give Donald Trump a leadership 101 lesson. Of course, it goes without saying, the Cardinal can edit this text as he sees fit to do so.

To begin, I recommend a reading from Corinthians 13:   
"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

After that, I'd offer a refresher about the Beatitudes often called The Sermon on the Mount:

The eight Beatitudes in Matthew 5:3–12 during the Sermon on the Mount.[4][5]

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. 
(Reach out to the poor those who cannot afford health care or are struggling to live on minimum wage.)

Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (Comfort the immigrants who need and pray for safety.)

Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. 
(Practice humility while demonstrating leadership.)

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. 
(Support the Freedoms provided for Americans in the US Constitution including Freedom of Speech.)

Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. 
(Be open to criticism and ideas that may be contrary to your own.)

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. 
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. 
(Demonstrate compassion for people who may insult you.)

(Prevent nuclear war and armed conflict whenever and wherever possible.)

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
(Allow for all of God's creation to prosper.)

Remember the parable told in Matthew 20:
Image result for graphic of Matthew 20
The first shall come last; and the last shall be first, parable.

“For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. He agreed to pay them a denarius (wage) for the day and sent them into his vineyard.

“About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’ So they went.

“He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’

“‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered.

“He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’

“When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’

“The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

“But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

“So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

To end, therefore, remember your responsibilities as our political leaders which are to treat all Americans equally and fairly regardless of our social status, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or abilities. We are one Nation Under God.

Amen+

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home